If you'd like to learn more on iOS forensics or data recovery, we can recommend a handful of resources.
General resources from Apple
- apple.com: Apple Support for the iPhone (fun fact: numerous Apple Geniuses around the world recommend our software to customers with backup / data issues.)
- discussions.apple.com: Apple iPhone Support Communities
- support.apple.com: “iPhone and iPod touch: About backups”
- support.apple.com: “Backing Up, updating, and restoring your iPhone and iPod touch software”
- stackoverflow.com: How to decrypt encrypted backups (our question on StackOverflow from 2009: we solved this a year before anyone else figured it out!)
- reddit.com: reddit's /r/computerforensics
- amazon.co.uk: iPhone Forensics: Recovering Evidence, Personal Data, and Corporate Assets (book) This book was written by Jonathan Zdziarski, one of the leading iOS forensics guys... until he went to work for Apple!
- amazon.co.uk: Macintosh OS X, iPod, and iPhone Forensic Analysis DVD Toolkit (book)
- amazon.co.uk: iOS Forensic Analysis: For iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch (book)